Call: CMES Research Initiation and Collaboration Grants
The research of the CMES is organized into four overarching themes:
- Democratization and Social Development in the Middle East
- Environment and Sustainability in the Middle East
- Migration, Multicultural Societies and Minorities of the Middle East
- Religion, Processes of Interpretation and Identity Formation in the Middle East
The center encourages inventive perspectives within the themes as well as cooperation and communication across existing research projects. In order to further stimulate its creative research environment, the CMES will make regular calls of Research Initiation and Collaboration Grants. The grants are for employed or affiliated CMES researchers, and aim at developing new and boundary crossing projects within the scope of the CMES themes. The following four types of grants will be available:
- Junior Research Initiation Grants: short term pilot projects (maximum 6 months). Such projects should answer to a specific research need (if announced in the call) of special strategic value for the center. Applications should normally aim at developing Post Doc project applications or, secondarily, PhD applications.
- Senior Research Collaboration Grants: to initiate pilot research projects which involve inter-thematic collaboration between researchers at the CMES or with ones outside the center.
- Pedagogic Research Grants: to support activities which strengthen the integration of teaching and research at the Center. Examples include fieldtrips, internships, etc.
- Research Outreach Grants: funding for workshops, blogs, films etc. for the dissemination of CMES research outside academia.
Eligibility, application process, budget and reporting
Proposals must be submitted by a CMES staff member, but the project may include other researchers as well. Applications must be interdisciplinary and clearly connected to at least two but (preferable more) of the CMES research themes. Applications will be assessed based on academic quality and strategic value for the CMES. Applications must be filed no later than December 11. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Decision on awarded grants will be communicated by December 18. Normally, applications cannot not exceed 100 000 SEK, and may cover expenses (such as material, travel- and meeting costs), but not salaries. The number and size of the awarded projects will depend on the funds available at each application opportunity. Report of research/educational/outreach outcomes must be submitted within 3 months of concluded project. For further information, please contact torsten.jansoncme.luse