Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-ie-support).

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Hossein

Hossein Hashemi

Senior lecturer

Hossein

Bias Correction of Long-Term Satellite Monthly Precipitation Product (TRMM 3B43) over the Conterminous United States

Author

  • Hossein Hashemi
  • Matias Nordin
  • Venkat Lakshmi
  • George J. Huffman
  • Rosemary Knight

Summary, in English

The Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Multisatellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) has provided a valuable precipitation dataset for hydrometeorological studies (1998–2015).However, TMPA shows some differences when compared to the ground-based estimates. In this study, a correction model is developed to improve the accuracy of the TRMM precipitation monthly product by reducing the bias compared to the ground-based estimates. The TRMM 3B43 precipitation product is compared with the Parameter-Elevation Regressions on Independent Slopes Model (PRISM) and with gridded precipitation estimates acquired from the CPC Unified Precipitation Project, two ground-based precipitation estimates, in the conterminous United States. The bias between the satellite and ground-based estimates is compared with mean surface temperature and elevation, respectively. A weak linear relationship is observed between the bias and temperature but a moderate inverse linear relationship is observed between the bias and elevation. Based on these observations, a linear model is developed for the TRMM 3B43–PRISM bias and elevation. The developed model is calibrated and validated using Monte Carlo cross validation with 25% of the available data as a calibration set and the remaining 75%of the data as a validation set. The estimated model parameters are then used in a correction formula for the TRMM 3B43 dataset for elevations above 1500m above mean sea level. The corrected TRMM 3B43 product is verified for the high-elevation regions over the entire United States as well as in two high-elevation local regions in the western United States. The results show a significant improvement in the accuracy of the monthly satellite product in the high elevations of the United States.

Department/s

  • Centre for Advanced Middle Eastern Studies
  • Division of Water Resources Engineering
  • MECW: The Middle East in the Contemporary World

Publishing year

2017-09

Language

English

Pages

2491-2509

Publication/Series

Journal of Hydrometeorology

Volume

18

Document type

Journal article

Publisher

American Meteorological Society

Topic

  • Other Engineering and Technologies
  • Oceanography, Hydrology, Water Resources

Keywords

  • TRMM TMPA
  • Bias correction
  • PRISM
  • Satellite

Status

Published

Project

  • Development of tools for improved groundwater management using satellite imagery, field data, and hydrological modeling

ISBN/ISSN/Other

  • ISSN: 1525-7541