Lina has a PhD in Physical Geography and Ecosystem Analysis from Lund University. Her current research is focused on land systems and conflict, more specifically on the links between drought, land use change, and conflict in Syria and Ira
MOSN06 Environment and sustainable development in the Middle East
- Eklund, L. (2015). “No Friends but the Mountains” Understanding Population Mobility and Land Dynamics in Iraqi Kurdistan. Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science, Lund University. Dissertation.
- Eklund, L. & Thompson, D. (2017). Differences in resource management affects drought vulnerability across the borders between Iraq, Syria, and Turkey. Ecology and Society, 22. The Resilience Alliance.
- Eklund, L., Abdi, A. & Islar, M. (2017). From Producers to Consumers: The Challenges and Opportunities of Agricultural Development in Iraqi Kurdistan. Land. Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute (MDPI).
- Eklund, L., Degerald, M., Brandt, M., Prishchepov, A. V. & Pilesjö, P. (2017). How conflict affects land use: agricultural activity in areas seized by the Islamic State. Environmental Research Letters. IOP Publishing.
- Eklund, L., Persson, A. & Pilesjö, P. (2016). Cropland changes in times of conflict, reconstruction, and economic development in Iraqi Kurdistan. Ambio, 45, 78-88. Springer.
- Eklund, L., Romankiewicz, C., Brandt, M., Doevenspeck, M. & Samimi, C. (2016). Data and methods in the environment-migration nexus : A scale perspective. Die Erde, 147, 139-152. Gesellschaft fur Erdkunde zu Berlin.
- Eklund, L. & Seaquist, J. (2015). Meteorological, agricultural and socioeconomic drought in the Duhok Governorate, Iraqi Kurdistan. Natural Hazards, 76, 421-441. Springer.
- Eklund, L. & El-Atrash, A. (2012). Assessment of Mobility Conditions Using Geographic Information System in the West Bank Territory: The Case of Bethlehem – Ramallah Route. Arab World Geographer, 15, 127-138. University of Akron.
- Eklund, L. & Mårtensson, U. (2012). Using geographical information systems to analyse accessibility to health services in the West Bank, Occupied Palestinian Territory. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal/ La Revue de Santé de la Méditerranée orientale, 18, 796-802. World Health Organization Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Eklund, L. & Pilesjö, P. (2012). Migration Patterns in Duhok Governorate, Iraq, 2000-2010. The Open Geography Journal, 48-58. Bentham Open.
Book chapters (1)
- Eklund, L. & Lange, K. (2018). 9 Crisis and Agricultural Change in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, 1980s–2010s: an Interdisciplinary Approach. CABI Publishing.
Conference contributions (5)
- Eklund, L. (2013). Demography, Land Use and Agricultural Development in the Rural Areas of Duhok Governorate, Iraq.
- Eklund, L. (2012). Dealing with drought – Water challenges in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Eklund, L. (2012). Drought in Iraq - Severity, Vulnerability and Adaptation.
- Pilesjö, P. & Eklund, L. (2012). Drought in Iraq : Implications for rural population, environment and agriculture in Duhok Governorate - Methodological challenges.
- Eklund, L. (2011). Migration Patterns to and from Rural Villages in Duhok Governorate, Iraq, 2000-2010.
Articles in specialist publications and popular press (1)
- Eklund, L. & Thompson, D. (2017). Is Syria really a ‘climate war’? We examined the links between drought, migration and conflict. The Conversation.
Newspaper articles (4)
- Eklund, L. (2017). Drought Not the Only Environmental Problem in Syria Before 2011. SyriaUntold.
- Eklund, L. (2017). Feeding the Caliphate? Agricultural Activity in ISIS Zones of Iraq and Syria. Muftah.org.
- Eklund, L. (2016). On virtual water and food security in the Middle East and beyond. Your Middle East.
- Eklund, L. (2015). A brief guide to Climate Change, COP21 and the Middle East. Your Middle East.