Environment and Sustainable Development in the Middle East
The objective is to put land, water, and energy management and effects on the environment in a holistic sustainability perspective considering social and economic development, climatic change, and rapidly increasing population.
The Middle East is a very dynamic region and historically important area that has had great influence on both the East and the West. In the same manner, the future development of the Middle East will have great effect on our world in Europe and Sweden. Thus, it is important to understand the historical dynamics and at the same time being able to analyse contemporary societal processes in a changing climate and with a fast increasing population.
Examples of research conducted within the research theme
- Hydropolitics project
- Hydrosolidarity project in the Nile Basin
- PhD projects involving Sustainable water use in Syria
- Post-conflict Visioning Labs
- Artificial groundwater recharge in Iran
- GIS techniques to improve efficient water use in Kurdistan
- Water use efficiency of the Urmia Lake, Iran
hossein [dot] hashemi [at] tvrl [dot] lth [dot] se (Hossein Hashemi)