For assessment criteria, terms of employment, instructions on how to apply and other information, please see the job listing.
- Type of employment: Temporary position
- Employment expires: 2025-12-31
- Contract type: Full time
- First day of employment: 2024-01-01 or as per agreement
- Salary: Monthly salary
- Number of positions: 1
- Full-time equivalent: 100
- City: Lund
- Country: Sweden
- Reference number: PA2023/3238
- Contact: Lina Eklund, lina [dot] eklund [at] nateko [dot] lu [dot] se
- Union representatives: OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362 and SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, kansli [at] saco-s [dot] lu [dot] se
More than a decade has passed since the war in Syria began in 2011. In the midst of this turmoil, a new venture has emerged in the form of the Autonomous Administration of Northern and Eastern Syria (NES), commonly known as Rojava. ECO-Syria is an interdisciplinary project where we study changes in vegetation dynamics and land use/land cover in the Rojava region as well as in neighboring areas, linking these changes to political and socioeconomic factors through spatio-temporal analysis.
The main duties involved in a post-doctoral posistion is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
The main responsibility for the postdoctoral fellow is to conduct research within the ECO-Syria project together with other project participants. Research tasks will include programmatic analysis of large volumes (big data) time series of vegetation, classification of land use and land cover (LULC) using medium- and high-resolution data, and spatio-temporal analyses of LULC changes, analyzed together with ancillary data, such as nighttime lights and other spatial data. Tasks also include dissemination of results through high-quality publications in international scholarly journals and conference presentations as well as participation in outreach activates. Additionally, the fellow should actively seek external research funding and perform administrative tasks related to the work duties listed above.
The position consists of 100 percent research and the post doctoral position is placed at the Centre for Advanced Middle Eastern Studies.
Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the date of employment decision. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- PhD in Physical Geography, Geoinformatics, Environmental Science or a closely related field
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Experience with publishing scientific papers
- Demonstrated proficiency in Geographical Information Systems/Spatial Analysis and Earth Observation
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work in a team and independently, and to complete activities on time
Last application date: 20 November 2023 11:59 PM CET